Sunday, July 14, 2013

Week 5 Panorama

before the digital image era I owned a panorama camera : an Hasselblad XPAN that was shooting wide pictures on a standard 135 film. Images like that:




So when I got my first digital camera before the DSLRs I wanted to do panoramas. For example I did this one from 5 images I took in the Swiss Alps with one of the early NIKON digital cameras (around 1990)




The reason it is special for me is that I did it completely manually! there was no panorama tools widely available so I spent a week of my free time to distort, scale rotate and match the colors!

Fast forward to 2013. I am now using either Photoshop or Panotools to stitch images. I shoot the images with the camera on a tripod with a rotating head and a rail to put the optical center above the center of rotation to avoid parallax problems in the overlapped areas. 

Few months ago I spent a week end in Las Vegas and took a day trip to the Grand Canyon. it was raining and snowing and freezing but there was 15 minutes with sun and I could shoot a serie of 7 pictures. I merged them with Photoshop and did the usual enhancement work on the resulting image. In particular I removed the shadow I projected on the left rock and I removed the metal safeguard on the right














No comments:

Post a Comment